A taco salad in a tortilla bowl is a fun and tasty way of trying out this Mexican-inspired dish. Before I discovered I can actually use tortilla to make an edible bowl to hold my taco salad, I thought tortillas only serve one purpose: for making burritos. Now, I get more excited learning new tricks in the kitchen! This super easy recipe is perfect for tonight’s dinner and anytime you are inviting friends over at your house.
How To Make Taco Bowls
8” soft flour tortillas
Non-stick tortilla mold (You can get this one from Amazon)
1. Preheat oven to 375 ºF.
2. Place one tortilla on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high for 30 seconds until soft and pliable.
3. Place softened tortilla into ungreased tortilla mold.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 if making more than one.
5. Arrange mold(s) into a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes until color is light brown.
6. Let it cool down while you make the taco salad.
How To Make Taco Salad
There are many ways to make a taco salad. I prefer mine with a little meat on the bottom like ground beef or strips of chicken before I add layers of chopped tomatoes, beans, avocado, green onions, lettuce, shredded cheese and my favorite salsa (usually home-made) or dollop of sour cream.
Here’s how I make it.
Yields: 6-8 servings
1 lb extra lean ground beef
1 pack Taco seasoning (1.25 oz)
1 cup roughly chopped bell peppers
½ cup water
Yields: 3 servings
1 chopped tomato
1 large avocado, cut into small squares
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
¼ iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
1 stalk green onion, chopped
1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained
¼ cup sour cream
1. Brown ground beef in a skillet. If you are using regular ground beef, remove excess oil afterwards.
2. Add bell pepper and sauté for another 5 minutes.
3. Add water and taco seasoning and mix well. Bring to a boil and simmer on low heat until the meat is thoroughly cooked and water has evaporated. Set aside to cool down.
4. Fill baked taco bowl with meat, beans, chopped veggies, and cheese. Top with sour cream