Of all Ukranian/Russian recipes that my husband taught me, this one is the easiest and one that I make almost everyday. And I mean every single day and I’m not kidding! Every time before making dinner, I have a habit of asking my significant other what he wants to eat and this salad is always part of his request, with extra onions and mayo. I’m fine making it although sometimes I get tired watching him eating the same salad ever since we got married. I tried to convince him to try other salads and greens, and use other dressing but the answer is always “No thanks. I’ll stick to my tomato and cucumber salad just the way I like it”. So over time, I gave up trying to change his preference and learned how to accept this part of him.
This salad only uses mayonnaise as dressing, though some also add sour cream to make it creamier. Also, you can use green onions as an alternative to an onion bulb, or even use both in if you love extra onions.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Yields: 3 servings
1 large tomato
2 medium cucumbers
½ medium onion
¼ cup mayonnaise
Salt & pepper to taste
Tools You’ll Need:
1. Wash tomato and cucumber and pat dry with a paper towel.
2. Core tomato and slice into chunks.
3. Cut both ends of cucumbers, cut in half, and slice across about 1/8 inch thick.
4. Slice or roughly chop the onion.
5. Place everything in a bowl. Add mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper according to taste. 6. Mix well and serve.