Canned sardines, particularly one in tomato sauce, are a vital part of Filipino diet when budget is tight and one can’t afford to buy fresh fish or meat. Along with ramen noodles, canned sardines can feed an entire family or individual. They are inexpensive and convenient, that’s why it has become one of the most preferred food supplies for college students back in my home country. I remembered eating sardines every single day at one point as a struggling college student because that was all I could afford. Because eating the same thing over and over tends to drive anyone crazy, I had to figure out how to cook sardines in a variety of ways. This recipe is one of those that I discovered.
1 canned sardines in tomato sauce (7.5 oz)
2 tbsp all-purpose flour
¼ tsp salt
Pinch of ground black pepper
¾ cup vegetable oil for frying
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Tools You Need:
1. Open canned sardines and drain all the sauce. Transfer sardines to a medium bowl and mash with a fork.
2. Add the eggs, flour, salt, pepper and mix thoroughly.
3. Heat oil in a skillet. Drop mixture by the spoonful, then flatten and fry, roughly about 30 seconds on each side.
4. Drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
5. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce or eat as it is.