I love making omelets for breakfast especially during the weekends when hubby isn’t working and we get to eat together as a family. I learned this recipe from my Mama who used to spoil me with her delicious cooking every time I visit my hometown in Philippines during semestral breaks in college. I would have this potato omelet with fried rice, Filipino hotdogs or sausage, and a cup of hot tsokolate ( a breakfast beverage made from dried cacao powder, brown sugar, and water).
This is very easy to make which makes it one of my favorite breakfast recipes. I’m not a big fan of potatoes but this one surprisingly appeals to my palate and I hope yours, too 🙂 !
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 40 minutes
Yields: 4-5 servings
3 medium potatoes (or 4 small ones)
2 large eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup vegetable oil
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese (or any cheese of choice)
Tools You’ll Need:
Wide skillet or frying pan
Kitchen turner /spatula
1. Peel potatoes, wash, and slice thinly. If you have a mandoline slicer, use it for ease and convenience.
2. Place sliced potatoes in a bowl and add a teaspoon of salt. Mix with your hands and let stand for 2 minutes.
3. Rinse thoroughly with cold water to remove most of the salt and the starch in the potatoes. Pat dry with a paper towel.
4. In a skillet, heat oil on high until it starts smoking and place potatoes in single layer. Cover the pan to brown faster. Check after 5 minutes and use a turner or spatula to flip potatoes to brown the other side. Cover again. Keep turning potatoes over about 3-4 times total until they’re golden brown on the edges. This will take about 25-30 minutes.
5. Beat eggs and season with salt and pepper according to taste.
6. Drizzle evenly on top of the potatoes and let it cook thoroughly, about 5 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese on top. The cheese will melt from the heat.
8. Cut into serving pieces and sprinkle more cheese (if desired).