When it comes to comfort food, fried chicken is on top of my list. When I went through pregnancy cravings, I couldn’t eat anything else but this. Good thing we have KFC close by and a diner that serves yummy fried chicken a block away from our house. They are very convenient places for takeout when I am too tired to make it at home.
In Philippines, there are several variations of cooking fried chicken, including chicken drumsticks. Most people use pre-seasoned breading mix that comes in packets while others do it from scratch. Some dip chicken pieces in a wet batter before frying and some use dry breading. Others marinate first or precook the chicken, while most just fry them straight after seasoning. I’ve tried all of these methods but my favorite way to go is simmering the chicken parts (in this recipe, drumsticks) in a concoction of water, vinegar, soy sauce and some spices so they’re thoroughly cooked before coating them in batter, then deep fry them afterwards in hot oil till golden brown and crispy. Because the drumsticks are pre-cooked and pre-seasoned, you will enjoy every bite because you can taste the flavor not just from the breading itself but all the way to the bones. So enjoy!
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 25 minutes
Yields: 6 fried chicken drumsticks
6 pieces chicken drumsticks
1 tsp whole peppercorns
¼ cup soy sauce
3 tbsp white vinegar
2 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
4 cups water
3 cups vegetable oil for frying
¼ cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp cornstarch
2 medium eggs
Salt and pepper to taste
Tools You’ll Need:
Large pot, for precooking chicken
2 prep bowls for breading
Frying pan, deep skillet, or deep fryer
1. Place chicken drumsticks in a single layer in a large pot. Peel and crush garlic cloves and throw in the pot as well as peppercorns, bay leaf, soy sauce, vinegar, and water. Bring pot to a boil. Adjust heat to medium low and simmer drumsticks for 15 minutes.
2. Use a tong to remove chicken drumsticks and place in a baking sheet or plate lined with paper towels. You need to drain as much liquid from the chicken as possible. Let cool for 10 minutes or so.
3. Prepare breading for chicken. In one medium bowl, add flour and cornstarch. Season with salt and pepper according to taste (I add 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp ground black pepper). Whisk to mix. In another bowl, beat eggs and set aside.
4. Coat each drumstick with egg then coat with flour and cornstarch mixture. Shake off excess and set aside.
5. Heat oil for frying until it gets very hot and fry them until golden brown about 5 minutes each. I usually put 3 pieces at a time so not to overcrowd the pan and achieve a brown, crispy fried chicken.
6. Remove from oil and drain on plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
7. Serve with gravy or with your favorite dipping sauce.