I had my plans laid out what to cook, write, etc. but then my kids got sick last week and I had a hard time finding free time to make anything.
Anyway, yesterday everybody at home started to feel better, and I was able to make something quick and easy for snacks–fried camote cue.
Because it was almost effortless, I was able to take some photos of the steps and the finished dish, so here I am sharing with you the recipe!
Camote cue (alternate spellings kamote cue or camote que) is a Filipino snack made from sliced sweet potatoes, fried and coated in caramelized brown sugar, then skewered into thin bamboo sticks.
If you’ve been to Philippines, this is one of the many popular street foods sold all over the country. You’ll see many street vendors on mobile carts selling camote cue, along with some refreshments to go with it such as buko juice, carbonated drinks, and fruit juices.
My parents used to have a food stall across our town’s national high school where we sold snacks and lunch to students and teachers during weekdays.
Aside from my mom’s well-loved munggo ice candy, banana cue, and pinaypay, we also sold camote cues and turon. It helped support our family and even paid some of the expenses when my sister and I went to college.
Anyway, this camote cue recipe is very similar to banana cue recipe I posted a while back.
The manner of cooking is similar–heating the oil first then adding the brown sugar till it melted before throwing in the sweet potatoes.
It’s a very easy process really, which doesn’t require a lot of know-how in cooking.
Just pay attention to the sugar, however, while it’s melting because it can burn very fast. Hence, cook on medium to medium high heat, and don’t forget to stir often while frying.
For this recipe, you can use any variety of sweet potatoes, and can add or reduce the amount of sugar for the caramel according to desired sweetness.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 10 sticks
Tools/Materials You Need:
Slotted spoon or cooking spoon
10 pieces 12-inch bamboo skewers
1. Wash sweet potatoes and peel using a knife or peeler.2. Slice into 1/2 inch thick. Set aside.3. Heat oil over medium heat. Add half of the brown sugar and wait till it melts and floats to the surface of the oil. 4. Carefully drop camote or sweet potato slices into the hot oil.5. Move the pieces around the pan using a spoon to coat them with the caramel. Allow to fry for a little bit.6. Sprinkle the remaining sugar all over the camote pieces and continue frying until they turn golden brown.7. Remove from oil and allow to cool a little bit.8. Skewer 3-4 pieces on individual bamboo sticks.9. Serve and enjoy.
- 1 lb sweet potatoes (any variety)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Tools/Materials You Need:
- Cutting board
- Frying pan
- Kitchen tong
- Slotted spoon or cooking spoon
- 10 pieces 12-inch bamboo skewers
- Wash sweet potatoes and peel using a knife or peeler.
- Slice into ½ inch thick. Set aside.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add half of the brown sugar and wait till it melts and floats to the surface of the oil.
- Carefully drop camote or sweet potato slices into the hot oil.
- Move the pieces around the pan using a spoon to coat them with the caramel. Allow to fry for a little bit.
- Sprinkle the remaining sugar all over the camote pieces and continue frying until they turn golden brown.
- Remove from oil and allow to cool a little bit.
- Skewer 3-4 pieces on individual bamboo sticks.
- Serve and enjoy.