I often cook it when I’m craving for some green veggies without having to eat raw salads.
To make the dish more flavorful, I usually added about a pound of shrimp. I have a Russian friend from Belarus, who tried this recipe for the first time and told me it was his first experience eating cabbage mixed with seafood (that is, shrimps) and it was simply delicious. I was flattered of course! Sometimes, a simple dish can bridge cultures and establish friendships you will not expect.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Yields: 6 servings
Tools You’ll Need:
1. Cut cabbage and bell pepper into strips.
2. Mince garlic and cut onions into thin slices.
3. Heat wok or skillet on high and add olive oil. Sauté garlic and onion until garlic has turned slightly brown and onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
4. Add red bell peppers and cook for another minute. If you are using raw shrimp, add it at this point and sauté until color turns orange, about 2 minutes.
5. Add cabbage and stir fry with the rest for about 3 minutes or until the cabbage has slightly wilted.
6. If using frozen, precooked shrimps, add it and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Cook for another 2 minutes or until the shrimp has fully thawed and cabbage has let out its own juice.
7. Serve immediately. Note: If you want a much softer cabbage texture, cover the wok/skillet until ready to serve. The trapped heat will continue to cook the vegetables.